Friday 16 November 2007

One Man's Journey to Heaven


First let me say there is NOTHING I can write that will express the beauty and emotion of the panels I viewed yesterday in the Bath Abbey. The artist is Sue Symons a retired artist who wanted to do something with textiles and calligraphy based on the life of Christ. It was to be a hobby project. The results is an overwhelming experience for anyone lucky enough to view the panels. Each panel is based on scripture. She does one panel in beautiful calligraphy then the one beside it in textiles. You have a book to take along with you to explain each panel to you. When you first look at it you think oh how nice and pretty then an you go along and read the scripture and see her interpretation the emotion just grows and grows. When you get to the last panel you don't want them to stop. Fortunately the last panel is in a little prayer chapel in the Abbey which has places to sit. Once you come to the last panel you have to set down and just absorb all you have just seen. I took a friend with me as she was just as moved as I was.


We were not alone in the little chapel with teary eyes. One of the girls that told me about the exhibition is a young missionary(American) working in Bosnia. She has described it as the most beautiful moving art she had ever experienced. I whole heartily agree with her.

No comments: